Hair loss happens to be my biggest fight in the salon. People walk in off the street for help with thinning hair. It’s the main reason I decided to get a instructors license.
Once the glue, bleach, hair dyes and micros took over I knew that women would eventually start losing their hair permanently. See when something looks good on a women, they don’t want to hear about hair loss not until they start losing hair.
The same thing happened with the freeze years earlier. I would tell people all the time to lighten up on all that gel and spritz it was not good for the hair. Most people have no idea what is causing their hair loss.
As I stated before most people have no clue to what may be the cause of their hair loss. I made a list of different forms of hair loss.
1. Stress – Is a form of hair loss that I see often in my salon. Believe if or not stress can cause a lot of women to lose their hair. I mostly notice it in the center of the head, edges, and nape of neck. It can also cause nearly complete baldness. This form of baldness is not permanent I am not a doctor but meditation always seems to keep me calm. Try letting go of the things that are stressing you out.
2. Chemicals – When a relaxer is burning your scalp It doesn’t matter whether the hair is straight or not rinse it out. Even if you are in a salon tell the stylist when the relaxer starts to burn. You can always get another relaxer later scalp burns can lead to permanent hair loss. It can also lead to scalp disfigurement. I have had people to come into the salon after suffering from what looks like 3 degree burns. This could lead to permanent hair loss in many women.
3. Bleach and Hair Dyes – Applying bleach to Afro-American hair when wearing a relaxer is asking for trouble. It can cause scalp burns and hair breakage. Our hair is not design to reach seven stages. Most damages are reversible once the hair stops breaking off. Hair dyes can cause allergic reactions and hair loss. This form can also be reversible in women.
4. Medications – Most medicines side effects can cause hair loss even permanently. This form is mostly reversible once they finish taking the medication.
5. Doo Rags – Yes, if tied to tight they will rub the hair around the nape of the neck and the side you sleep on. Especially on women who wear wraps. This is also reversible once you switch to a rap cap or satin scarf.
6. Micros or Zillions -When choosing someone to do your braids ask around. My first experience with micros where so bad that I haven’t had them since. They were to tight and two small and some fell out from the roots. I choose not to wear them unless I take the time to do them myself. So far I haven’t gotten around to that yet. If this procedure is to tight it can cause permanent hair loss.
7. Age – Yes, your hair is not as thick in your thirties as it was in your early twenties. The older we become the thinner our hair becomes and a lot of it is due to years of abuse. It can also be hereditary. If your mother is losing her hair in places as she ages it can also happen to you as well.
8. Alopecia Areata – This is baldness that occurs in different areas of the head. If the scalp is treated early there is hope. A lot of women seem to ignore a small patch of missing hair. Covering it up seems to suit people pretty well at first. Then panic when the spot becomes bigger. Early detection is the key to saving your hair.
9. Alopecia – Many people who suffer from Alopecia lose one hundred percent of the hair on their entire body. Unfortunately since hair loss is not life threatening, dermatologist really don’t have too may answers. Their are others like Inhairit who has studied hair loss and is dedicated to finding a cure.
10. Glue – Do I really have to say more? When using hair glue keep it light and soak each track before removing. Never pull a track out of your hair it can lead to permanent hair loss.
Remember never wait or try covering up hair loss. Early detection is the key to saving your hair. Their are various companies dedicated to helping people grow hair. Some are the leading company in hair growth for people dealing with one or more of the above conditions. Wigs and weaves are fun but you will miss your real hair forever.